As I posted earlier, Westminster Ward is no longer. They announced the changes one Sunday, and the following Sunday we were to attend our new wards. We didn't get a chance to say goodbye to anyone or to the building. So, we organized a potluck to do just that. It was so very bittersweet...mostly bitter. I have grown up with these people. They were not just my ward, but truly my family.
I moved into the Westminster Ward in July,1961 just as I was about to enter 7th grade. We were part of the Garden Grove Stake, going to church in an old packing warehouse on Garden Grove Blvd. It was adjacent to a train track, and I remember sometimes the building shaking because a train went by. Classrooms were in the basement and divided by curtains, so you could hear what was going on all around you. It was a few years later that we were able to build the Westminster building.
We took some group photos...
 |
| All those who had been in the ward 50+ years! |
 |
| The RS sisters |
 |
| The Priesthood brothers |
 |
| The one nearest and dearest to my heart...the ward choir |
I had been the ward choir director for most of the last 40 years. A couple of times I asked to be released because I needed a break...I just didn't have another Christmas program in me. And then, a year or two later, I'd say I was ready, and they would put me back in. The funny thing about this picture is Allen King, right next to me. He was never in choir. He couldn't carry a tune, but that didn't stop him from asking if he could be in choir. I always said yes and he's laugh. But he never joined us. That became a running joke between us. He still tells everyone that will listen that I babysat him! He is one year younger than me. I've know him since high school and I am sure going to miss him and his kidding.

Tom and Bonnie--Tom was my brother, Milo's friend in high school. I remember them going to church dances in Tom's VW bug. I remember him coming home from BYU after his mission with Bonnie. She became on of my best and closest friends. Their son, JJ and my Todd were best friends all growing up...they did everything together. Todd even named his second son Luke Jason after JJ. Tom was Amy's surrogate dad for church activities. He was the one who presented her when she earned her YW medallion. I always sat right in front of them at church. I'm going to miss that.

Barbara and Bob--I meet these guys as newlyweds, as they moved into our ward. Instant friendships formed. Barb and I were pregnant together and I remember sitting in the hot tub at their apartment and comparing stomachs. And wondering if these kids would become friends. Well, they did become friends...best friends. Todd named his first son Tayson Davis. Along with JJ, they went on missions together, went to proms, got their Eagles, played ball, and attended endless campouts. They certainly were the three amigos. Bob cosigned for me when I tried to by my first car after my divorce and my credit rating was awful. He was there for Todd and became his surrogate dad. Barb and I have served on many presidencies over the years, we have enjoyed many shows together, and I have grown to love her as a sister. She has sat with me at church for the last eight or nine years while Bob was serving as bishop. Who am I going to sit with now?!

Ed and Ann Mitchell-I was actually the camp councilor to Ann when she was in high school. I have watched her grow up and become an amazing woman. She babysat my kids for a while when they were in elementary school. I met Ed when he was dating Lori Anderson, now Fronk. He went off on his mission and when he returned, they were no longer together, but he started dating Ann. I love Ann's sweet spirit and I'm going to miss our heartfelt talks.
 |
| My ward family!!! |
No comments:
Post a Comment