We boarded this...
To go see this.
I had never actually been Liberty Island. Always before, my only encounter with this Lady was from a harbor tour boat. So, it was amazing to get off and walk around her. Yep, I'll admit to some tears!
This is how excited the kids were about this stop!!
Carson eventually played along, pretending to register the people
as they arrived in the massive hall.
We finally got a hotdog from a street cart. It did not disappoint!!
And then we were off to the 911 Memorial.
I had the same kind of feeling as at the Holocaust Museum...horror and amazed at man's inhumanity to man. But I also felt reverence, soberness, and awe at the many selfless people there are.
I think in deference to the sacred moment of the memorial, the sky's were cloudy and some rain was in the air was we exited the building.
It actually was the beginning of Tropical Storm Elsa getting into the area. It would get much worse before it got better! More latter!We had to go back to lower Manhatten to look for Emma's missing ear buds, so we went by way of Wall Street.
Dinner time. I asked for anything but pizza! Not my favorite meal, and we had eaten it many times on this trip. So we went in search of dinner within a short walk of a subway stop because the rain was getting worse. I can't remember what we decided on, but I do remember trudging along, in heavy rain, back and forth because we could find it! We did find a fun dessert place and took some home with us. That night, safely tucked into our snug hotel room, we were treated to a terrific thunder and lightening storm as Elsa passed by us. I'm guessing that is as close to a hurricane/tropical storm as I'm ever going to get!!
Total steps walked today--17,088
No comments:
Post a Comment