Friday, October 4, 2019

Carson

Carson's birth was a most hectic event.  A week or two before he was due, Amy and Todd  were at my house splitting logs from our front tree with a log splitter, when her water broke!  They took off in my car, leaving me the truck to return the splitter, go by their house to pick up her "hospital bag", and get to the hospital.  The traffic was at a stand still and I was so afraid I was going to miss the whole thing.  Todd called, calmed me down, told me a back way to get to their house, and said that nothing was happening yet, not to panic.  When I finally arrived at the hospital, nothing had happened.  They told me to go back home and get some sleep, it would be many hours before Carson would appear.  I was home and in bed for maybe 3 hours when Todd called and said I had better get back.  Carson was born a few minutes after I got there and life for the Mortensen's would never be the same.

Carson was one of the happiest babies around.  His huge smile was ever present. 
Over the years, as his activities and interests have expanded, his smile still remains, lighting up his entire face and those around him.




















Over the years, as his activities and interests have expanded, his smile still remains, lighting up his entire face and those around him.



I love his strength to endure hard things, whether it was brain surgery at the age of six or needing to wear a back brace as a teenager to help correct his scoliosis.  Life has given him some challenges that he has met and overcome.

I love his love of music.  It has been fun to watch him grow as a musician, whether it was on the piano, trumpet, or singing on stage.  He was a real natural in show stoppers in grade school, and stole the show in middle school as Tom Sawyer. I still sing some of his songs in my head, many years later
(painting the fence, paintingthe fence...)


 I love that he loves the Lakers, something we have in common.  He has been loyal and true, even through some tough years, always defending "his team" to his dad!  Some day, and I hope it will be soon, we have a date to cheer together at a Laker championship parade through the streets of LA. GO LAKERS!!!
I love Carson's love of life.  I love his amazing smile.  I'm envious of his eyelashes (he had trouble wearing glasses because they kept brushing the lenses!)!!  I love his sweet spirit and his willingness to be of service to others.  I just love this young man.  The sky's the limit for him and I'll be right there, cheering him on.

No comments:

Post a Comment