Monday, August 7, 2017

Monday's Memory--Pickled Beets

I decided to can some pickled beets this last week, and it brought back so many memories.  First, I thought of the years I drove up to Idaho to can with my dad and Mary.  Mary's mom had a huge garden, so we canned lots of stuff; beans, peaches, pickles, corn, tomatoes, chili sauce, and pickled beets.  One year we went crazy and  had a marathon canning session...180 jars of canned fruits and vegetables!  Crazy!!


After Mary's mom stopped her garden, we switched to canning just beans and had to go to a u-pick place to get them.  I love thinking of dad in his overalls picking beans with me.

My other thoughts turned to my Grandma Busby.  It was her pickled beets that I loved to eat.  It was her recipe that I used to do my own.  I even have a recipe card in her handwriting. 
I only did 5 jars, and had to buy the beets, but it will be so nice to have some pickled beets in my salads or on my plate.  And every time I do, I'll think of these two wonderful people that I had in my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment