Friday, January 5, 2024

New Year...New Goals

 As always, I'd like to start by reviewing my goals from last year and report how I did.
**I set the goal of attending the temple weekly, and this I did.  I probably went 45-48 times this last year.      I'm proud of that accomplishment, but more on that later.
**I commited to read 2-3 conference talks per week---yeh, that didn't last long!
**I did follow through with birthday cards to my friends.  I made and sent out 35ish cards this year.
**My goal was to walk 5 days a week, and I did really well with that.  Most of the year I logged a little          over 3 miles a day.  Eating healthier was harder.  I did well some times and not so well others.  I did,          however end the year 5 pounds down!!
**Clean out a closet or cupboard every month.  I actually did OK with this one, too.  

The thing that sticks out to me the most is that I feel stuck.  I'm on a sailboat in the middle of the doldrums.  After going to the temple almost every week for the last two years, I don't feel more spiritual...I don't feel closer to my Heavenly Father...I feel like I have only been checking off boxes.  After much thought and contemplation, I realize that my heart wasn't where it needed to be.  In the past, I've gone to the temple needing guidance, needing encouragement, needing help.  Either I was preparing to teach in Sunday School or Relief Society and needed guidance on where my lesson should go, good questions to ask, finding out what the sisters needed.  After that, I went seeking help with my stake choir calling...what songs to sing at stake conference...theme for the Christmas fireside...words to complete the narration.
Now, my calling is compassionate service chairman, so I haven't felt the need of help.  I need to change my thinking.  I need His help is all aspects of my life, including how to be a better minister to the sisters.
So, I am going better prepared to the temple, with a purpose.  Maybe not as often, but with intent.  Quality over quantity.

My goals are going to look different, too.  This year, my goals are coming from the book by Gordon B Hinckley, Way to Be!  It's aimed to the youth, but there is so much that's applicable to adults.
It's divided into 9 chapters...ways to be happy and make something of your life.  Every 5 1/2 weeks, I'll move to a different topic

First up--gratitude  Be grateful


I've thought about this and I've decided to focus on two things
1--say thank you more...and often.  Take time to look at them in the eye and let them know I really              mean it.  Say your welcome when someone thanks me.
2--several times a week (I know myself and I won't be able to do this daily!) write in my journal things      that I'm thankful for...where I've seen the Lord's hand in my life...His tender mercies.
3--And I just thought of #3..every Monday, say a prayer of gratitude...just be thankful...no asking, just        thanking.
Here's to a HAPPY new year.







No comments:

Post a Comment