Saturday, March 30, 2019

The Living Desert Zoo

I still remember the first time I took my kids here, many, many years ago.  It was such a bust.  Animals in small cages and all of them were asleep, so we really didn't get to see anything.
Boy has it improved over the years.  The kids, and by kids, I mean Amy and Todd, too, loved feeding the lorikeets.  If you held out your hand with nectar in a small cup, they flew right over, perched on your arm, and drank up.



















And sometimes they hopped on your arm, shoulder, or head even
without food.  Wyatt seemed to be a lorikeet whisperer, attracting bunches of them.  He affectionately called them "demon pigeons"!   




                                                     












The surprising part was how scared Emma was to have them land on her arm.  I forget how strong she really is!!!




     
 













It reminded me of this old picture from 2011 at the Long Beach Aquarium...no fear there!!                                                         

The camel rides were a big hit, as well.




Everyone loved feeding the giraffes, though I was a little bummed 
we didn't get to see the week old baby.  It's amazing how long those tongues are!





It was a very fun filled day.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment