Mark and Kris agreed to watch mom for a week, so off I went...to New Orleans!!!
I only had two full days there, so I really had to make the most of my time. I arrived at my hotel late afternoon Wednesday, and had just 30 minutes to walk through the French Quarter to the New Orleans Jazz NHP to get a stamp in my passport before they closed. Then it was a leisurely stroll back in the rain, stopping off...
 |
| here |
 |
| for this!!! |
Thursday--Feb 21st--Oak Alley Plantation
An hour and a half bus ride out of the city took me to this beautiful plantation. It made me feel like I had stepped back in time.
 |
The grounds were covered with these amazing oak trees
with moss and leaves growing on them. |
 |
This was the main entrance into the mansion
in days gone by. The archway that the
trees make is where the plantation's name
came from. |
 |
During slavery time, there weren't out houses, the slaves just used
a tree. After emancipation, they built these for their use. The symbols
on the doors gave light and ventilation, but also designated
male or female use. |
 |
| Slaves quarters |
 |
| Slaves quarters on a neighboring plantation. |
Back in the city that afternoon, I took the trolley to the
Garden District.
 |
The night before, this 2.5 million dollar mansion burned down.
It was so sad to see the destruction of such beauty and history. |
La Fayette Cemetery
The trolley ride back was a kick...so crowded...and a car backed into us, so we all had to get out and walk back downtown while the trolley driver waited for the police!!
Friday--Feb 22nd--Swamp Tour
An hour bus ride in the opposite direction, and I arrived at a swamp for a tour...hopefully to see some wild life...like alligators!! Yep, I saw...
 |
| Snakes... |
 |
| alligators... |
 |
| alligators... |
 |
| racoons... |
 |
| wild boar... |
 |
| more wild bore... |
 |
| and did I mention alligators... |
 |
This was really cool. Those things sticking up are the
tree's roots. They shoot up out of the water!! |
 |
| People live along the river, having to use a boat to get to their homes. |
 |
| Hurricane Katrina damage! |
 |
| and more damage from Katrina. |
 |
I loved the moss hanging from all of the trees.
Quite spooky! |
That afternoon, I went back to the
French Quarter to experience Bourbon Street! Oh my!!
I thought I timed this trip to miss Mardi Grais, but evident'y I was there just in time for the beginning! Crazy people everywhere!!
 |
I didn't have time to ride on this paddle wheeler, but I've already
been on the Mississippi on one with Ann, so I didn't feel bad. |
The people of New Orleans really go all out for Mardi Gras...
I even caught a parade where I caught a stuffed alligator and some beads!!!
Saturday--Feb 23rd--Train ride home
Part of my week's adventure was a nice, relaxing train ride back home. The first day was kinda interesting with a varied view from the parlor car window...
 |
| All Aboard!!! |
 |
| ...rivers... |
 |
| In my sleeper car. |
 |
| ...lots of harvested sugar cane fields... |
 |
| ...a few cemeteries... |
 |
| ...more rivers... |
 |
| ...and finally the skyline of Houston... |
 |
...and a beautiful sunset.
|
Sunday, the day was spent in Texas!!! And the view was not so varied or interesting!!!
 |
| This holding pen for cattle was kinda cool... |
 |
| ...and then lots of this... |
 |
| ...and this. |
 |
| Sunrise on Monday morning was beautiful... |
 |
| ...but the train didn't cooperate!!! |
No comments:
Post a Comment