Monday, September 7, 2015

Monday's Memory--Labor Day


I have always hated Labor Day.  I wanted to boycott it...to wear a black arm band!  It marked the end of summer and the start of a new school year that I didn't want to arrive.  Don't get me wrong, I loved my job, and it was always fun to get back to school and catch up with my teacher friends that I hadn't seen since June.  But it meant the end of being a stay-at-home mom and back to a working one. It also meant the carefree days of summer were over.  And no more beach.
So, we always spent Labor Day at the  beach...one last hurrah!  I was always surprising that the beach wasn't just covered with people.  We always managed to find a parking space and a little bit of sand to call our own.
Now, being retired and the school year starting so much sooner, before Labor Day, the day  has lost some of it's threat.  I don't dread it. I don't hear the words and wince. But I do find myself thinking back to those happy times with my kids, and most often, on Labor Day, I still find myself with my towel on my own little bit of sand.

(These pictures are not all from Labor Days. In fact, the top one with Todd and the red surf beard was taken in Hawaii.  The other three are all Huntington, but different years.)

No comments:

Post a Comment