Thursday, July 4, 2013

Enter a 5K...Check it off my List!

Not only did I enter...I actually did it.  I have been training for 3 months, and it all paid off today.  I actually ran for 1 1/2 minutes and then walked for 4 1/2 minutes.  I can't compare my performance with any other 5K since this was my first one, but according to my watch, I had my PR for 3 miles at 36:10.  When I started with my watch at the end of May, I did the 3 miles in 41:42.  My best time up to this was last week at 38:25 with my fastest mile at 12:49.  During the race, my fastest mile was 11:54.  But I was so spent,  I practically crawled across the finish line.  Kathy suggested that I move my mileage up to 3 1/2 miles a couple of times a week, so I can get used to 5K instead of just 3 miles.  
Amy and me before the race.  We ran the first minute and a half together, and then she took off and left me in the dust!

After Amy finished the race, she came back and joined me to finish the race twice.

Yea...the finish line!

I did it!
They didn't give the adults a finishers medal, so I actually had to snag this from one of the kids.  I wasn't about to not have a medal from my first 5K!  It's pretty cool, huh?

I am so proud of myself.  I really have a feeling of accomplishment.  And I am planning on keeping up the training and entering another one...next up...the Disney 5K on Castaway Island in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment