Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Mary and Martha

Last week we had an awesome discussion in Relief Society about Mary and Martha. It gave me an opportunity to do some soul searching. I know that we need to develop both of these character traits, that we need to be able to serve as well as seek the spiritual. But what really hit me was a picture that Lori Fronk had on the table. It showed Martha in the kitchen, doing her thing, with a big, ugly scowl on her face. She resented the fact that she was working while Mary was with the Savior.
That picture hit me hard because that must be what I look like much of the time. At a family dinner, I find myself in the kitchen, unhappy, because I'm doing the work...I'm the one watching the kids...I'm the one picking up. I'm serving, but not very happy about it. I'm a great martyr.
I've known this about me for a while and I have been working on it. Here's to finding joy in serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment